Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Global Interest

Bogwater Jim
Lafayette, NJ

973-383-6057

World globes...As a schoolgirl, I remember my first encounter with them as a proud moment. Having such a grown-up navigational tool in our classroom could only mean one thing...we had arrived.

There were the crisp, efficient lines of longitude and latitude that always let you know exactly where you stand. And crazy-shaped continents, vast oceans and wiggly rivers that, together, promised a lifetime of exploration. And the colors...azure blue, viridian green, mountain brown, surely confirming our status in the solar system as the "prettiest" planet.

These old globes remind me of the world as it used to be. They provide an interesting, nostalgic and studious artifact to any environment. Now, when I look at them, I find the ever-shifting borders and renaming of countries fascinating. It reminds me that change is always on the horizon.




No comments:

Post a Comment